Thursday, May 5, 2011

But can you keep it off???

"But what happens when you go off the drops and start eating normal again, do you gain it all back?" is the question that was asked of me by many people..


(Photo: February 20th 2011 just before I started)

This diet is designed in Phases and was created in the 1950's by Dr Simeons. You can read his manuscript "Pounds & Inches A New Approach to Obesity" to learn more.

I was uncertain what would happen while I'm off the drops (Phase 3), but according to Dr. Simeons, these drops are actually going to help change my hypothalamus, and get my metabolism working properly. Am I skeptical? ABSOLUTELY! am I being convinced? ABSOLUTELY!

When I was coming to the end of Phase 2 (VLCD & drops) I panicked! I didn't want to start eating normal again in-case I gained it all back, I wanted to keep eating with the protocol. But, with the insistence from my friend who said, "if you don't eat, you WILL gain it back, you must keep your body and metabolism working for you, SO EAT!"
In this phase the goal is to stabilize the weight and maintain it, creating a new set point for the body.

I began to increase my calories and include foods permissible on Phase 3. My weight fluctuated up and down, increasing up to 6lbs. I did my corrective days and brought the weight right back down to the new set point.... and then dropped 2 MORE POUNDS!woo hoo!

I DO see the difference in my how my body absorbs and processes food. Some days I am not hungry at all and will wait to eat a bit later and of course I'm eating less. Certain food have no appeal to me, so it's easy to skip over highly processed foods. I try out some foods that I used to love, but realize my body doesn't care for it and I regret it later. Lesson learned.

The evenings are my biggest struggle, but not from hunger. I try to make good healthy choices to snack on like Kale Chips, and will allow myself the odd glass of diet pop.
I know I'm not out of the woods yet, and have at least 2 more rounds to go. I begin the VLCD and drops again May 15th and I am super excited to begin again and drop more weight.

I'll keep you posted....

Disappearing Diva M

No comments:

Post a Comment